Dr Ali Ghahreman
FRACS NEUROLOGICAL SURGERY, MBCHB, BHB
Meet Dr Ali Ghahreman
Dr Ali Ghahreman is fellowship trained in the treatment of skull base and complex brain tumours including pituitary tumours, vestibular schwannomas, meningioma’s, and brain metastatic tumours. He provides subspecialised treatment for other non-neoplastic conditions such as trigeminal neuralgia.
In addition to brain surgery, Dr Ghahreman has expertise in complex spine surgery. Dr Ghahreman believes in providing his patients with treatment options that are most appropriate to their clinical diagnosis. Dr Ghahreman provides comprehensive conservative and operative treatment for a wide range of spinal conditions including degenerative spinal conditions, spinal cancer, and trauma. Dr Ghahreman prefers to use minimally invasive surgery (keyhole surgery) in the treatment of spinal conditions.
Dr Ghahreman provides treatment for the full scope of general neurosurgical conditions. Dr Ghahreman regularly sees patients who may be experiencing neurological or spinal symptoms such as headache, weakness, walking difficulties, sensory disturbances (numbness), as well as back pain or sciatica.
With a background of extensive research into a number of neurological topics including the treatment of sciatica and spinal pain, Dr Ghahreman is proud of his involvement in the academic research community contributing to improving clinical outcomes for patients suffering from neurological conditions.
Dr Ghahreman has a particular passion for passing on his knowledge acquired over his years of experience to the neurosurgeons of the future, this is highlighted when he was awarded a medal for recognition of excellence in teaching from Western Clinical School, University of Sydney in 2002.
Throughout his years as a trainee in neurosurgery and a specialist, he has held regular teaching sessions for undergraduate medical students.
In 2010, Dr Ghahreman held weekly lectures at the University of New South Wales for medical students in the field of clinical neurosciences. He has been an examiner for medical student clinical examinations and has also acted as the examiner for senior medical student elective thesis.
In the United Kingdom, Dr Ghahreman was part of the faculty in the organisation and delivery of regular teaching programme for neurosurgical registrars.
Dr Ghahreman continues work as a senior lecturer for the University of New South Wales and contributes to the teaching of neurosurgical advanced trainees at St George Hospital.
In addition to training the neurosurgeons of the future, Dr Ghahreman ensures that he remains current in neuroscience advances and education.
- Ghahreman A, Bogduk N. Predictors of a favorable response to transforaminal injection of steroids in patients with lumbar radicular pain due to disc herniation. Pain Med 2011; 12: 871-9.
- Ghahreman A, Ferch R, Bogduk N. The efficacy of transforaminal injection of steroids for the treatment of lumbar radicular pain. Pain Med 2010; 11:1149-68.
- Fong M, Ghahreman A, Masters L, Huynh W. Large intracranial meningioma presenting as Parkinson’s disease. J Neurol Neurosurg and Psychiatry 2016
- Khong P, Ghahreman A, Davies M. Cervical disc arthroplasty for the treatment of spondylotic myelopathy and radiculopathy. J Clin Neurosci 2013.
- Cheung NK, Ghahreman A, Ferch RD. Long-term follow-up of minimal access and open posterior lumbar interbody fusion for spondylolisthesis. Neurosurgery 2013; 72: 443-50.
- Ghahreman A, Ferch RD, Rao PJ, Bogduk N. Minimal access versus open posterior lumbar interbody fusion in the treatment of spondylolisthesis. Neurosurgery 2010; 66296-304; discussion 304.
- Ghahreman A Ferch RD, Bogduk N. Correlation between the correction of anatomical features and clinical outcome in patients undergoing posterior lumbar interbody fusion for spondylolisthesis and radicular pain. (accepted for publication by Neurosurgery)
- Ghahreman A, Rao PJ, Ferch RD. Dynamic plates in anterior cervical fusion surgery: graft settling and cervical alignment. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009; 34(15):1567-71.
- Ghahreman A, Ferch RD, Rao P, Chandran N, Shadbolt B. Recovery of ankle dorsiflexion weakness following lumbar decompressive surgery. J Clin Neurosci 2009;16: 1024-7.
- Rao PJ, Christie JG, Ghahreman A, Cartwright CA, Ferch RD. Clinical and functional outcomes of anterior cervical discectomy without fusion. J Clin Neurosc 2008;15:1354-9.
- Greenlee JD, Teo C, Ghahreman A, Kwok B. Purely endoscopic resection of colloid cysts. Neurosurgery. 2008 Mar;62(3 Suppl 1):51-5; discussion 55-6
- Ghahreman A, Bhasin V, Chaseling R, Andrews B, Lang EW. Nonaccidental head injuries
- in children: a Sydney experience. J Neurosurg. 2005; 103:213-8.
- Ghahreman A, Booth M, Cutfield R, Wright C. Small-cell carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater and a paraneoplastic syndrome.N Z Med J. 2003 Nov 21;116(1186):U686.
- Ghahreman A, McCall JL, Windsor JA. Cholecystostomy: a review of recent experience. Aust N Z J Surg. 1999 Dec;69(12):837-40. Review.
- Management of lumbar radicular pain and radiculopathy secondary to disc herniation: introducing an evidence based clinical pathway; in Radicular Pain. Ghahreman A, Bogduk N.
- Pathophysiology, pathological anatomy and epidemiology of lumbar radicular pain. Ghahreman A, Davies MA, Bogduk N.
Continued medical Education
- Annual British Pituitary Conference: Royal College of Physicians, London 2011
- Annual British Skull Base Society Conference: UK: March 2011
- Spine Society of Australasia: Christchurch 2010
- Neurosurgical Society of Australasia: Auckland 2008
- Spine Society of Australasia: Adelaide 2008
- Royal College of Surgeons; ACT Annual Scientific Meeting: Canberra 2008
- Neurosurgical Course on Spine and Spinal cord Surgery: Sydney, 2008 (Medtronic)
- Advanced Neuroendoscopy Course and Cadaveric Work-shop: Sydney, November 2007 (Aesculap Academy)
- Advanced Cervical Spine Instrumentation Techniques; Stryker: Sydney 2007
- Spine Society of Australaisa Annual Scientific Meeting Tasmania 2007
- Aesculap Academy Spine Conference; Aesculap Academy: Tasmania 2007
- AO Spine Course; Sydney 2006 (Synthese)Posterior Lumbar Inter-body Fusion Cadaveric Work-shop 2006 (Depuy)
- Spine Society of Australasia; Auckland 2005
- Neurosurgical Society of Australasia; Gold Coast 2005
- Clinical Oncology Society of Australia, Annual Scientific Meeting 2004
- Spine and cranial applications of the air-drill; Sydney 2003 (Medtronic)
- Neurosurgical Society of Australasia; Queenstown 2003
- Neurosurgical Society of Australasia; Broom 2004
- Temporal Bone dissection course 2002
- Eromed risk management course; Bowral 2002
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons; Registrar Papers Day Sydney 2001
- Early Management of Severe Trauma Course, Auckland 2001
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons; New Zealand 1998